Should I See an Allergist or Dermatologist for Hives?

“Should I see an allergist or dermatologist for hives?” is a common question people who get hives ask.

Have you ever experienced hives and wondered, “Should I see an allergist or dermatologist for hives?” Hives can be frustrating and uncomfortable, but the good news is that medical professionals can help.

This article will explore the differences between an allergist and a dermatologist and help you determine the best treatment for your hives.

Difference Between Allergists and Dermatologists

Should I see an allergist or dermatologist for hives?

To help answer this question, let’s differentiate allergists from dermatologists first.

An allergist and a dermatologist are both doctors who specialize in different areas of medicine. An allergist focuses on diagnosing and treating allergies and related conditions, while a dermatologist specializes in skin conditions.


Here are some key differences between the two:

  1. Conditions treated: Allergists primarily treat conditions related to allergies, such as hay fever, asthma, and hives. They may also diagnose and treat food allergies, drug allergies, and insect sting allergies. On the other hand, dermatologists treat a wide range of skin conditions, including acne, eczema, psoriasis, and skin cancer.
  2. Diagnosis methods: Allergists use a variety of tests to diagnose allergies, including skin prick tests, blood tests, and patch tests. They may also use lung function tests to diagnose asthma. On the other hand, dermatologists may use skin biopsies, cultures, and imaging tests to diagnose skin conditions.
  3. Treatment methods: Allergists often use medications, such as antihistamines, nasal sprays, and inhalers, to treat allergies and related conditions. They may also recommend immunotherapy, or allergy shots, to help desensitize patients to allergens. Dermatologists may use medications, such as topical creams and ointments, to treat skin conditions. They may also perform procedures, such as skin biopsies or excisions, to remove skin growths or cancerous cells.
  4. Training and education: Allergists and dermatologists receive different types of training and education. Allergists complete a residency in internal medicine or pediatrics, followed by a fellowship in allergy and immunology. Dermatologists complete a dermatology residency, which includes general medicine, surgery, and pathology training.

Overall, it’s best to see an allergist if you have hives or a rash that you suspect may be related to an allergy. It may be best to see a dermatologist if you have other skin conditions, such as acne or eczema. However, in some cases, both specialists may work together to provide comprehensive care for their patients.

Acute and Chronic Hives

Hives are skin conditions characterized by raised, red, and itchy welts that can appear anywhere on the body. They can be acute or chronic, and the difference between the two lies in the duration of the symptoms. Acute hives are a sudden onset of symptoms that last less than six weeks, while chronic hives are ongoing and persist for more than six weeks.

An allergic reaction to food, medication, or environmental factors, such as pollen or insect bites, typically causes acute hives. In some cases, acute hives may also be caused by infections, stress, or physical stimuli such as heat or cold.

On the other hand, chronic hives can have various causes, including autoimmune disorders, chronic infections, hormonal imbalances, or physical triggers like pressure, friction, or vibration. In some cases, the cause of chronic hives may not be known, and treatment may focus on managing symptoms rather than addressing the underlying cause.

Both acute and chronic hives can be treated with antihistamines and other medications to relieve itching and reduce inflammation. However, it is important to seek medical attention immediately if hives are severe, widespread, or accompanied by other symptoms like difficulty breathing or swelling. Check out the American Academy of Dermatology’s advice on when to seek help.

So, should I see an allergist or dermatologist for hives?

An allergist and a dermatologist can help diagnose the cause of hives and recommend appropriate treatment options based on the severity and duration of symptoms. Consider consulting the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology’s resources to understand more about your options.


Should I See an Allergist or Dermatologist for Hives? What Doctor Is Best for Hives?

Can a dermatologist treat hives? Can an allergist help with hives?

Hives, or urticaria, are raised, itchy bumps on the skin that various factors, including allergic reactions, can cause. If you’re experiencing hives, you may wonder whether to see an allergist or dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment. Both allergists and dermatologists can treat hives, but the right choice for you depends on the cause of your hives.

If you suspect an allergy causes your hives, seeing an allergist is best. Allergists are experts in diagnosing and treating allergic reactions, including hives caused by food, medications, or other allergens. They can perform allergy testing to identify the trigger of your hives and develop a treatment plan to manage them.

On the other hand, if your hives are caused by a non-allergic reaction or a skin condition such as eczema or psoriasis, a dermatologist may be the best choice. Dermatologists specialize in treating skin conditions, and they can perform a skin biopsy to diagnose the underlying cause of your hives and prescribe appropriate medications to manage them.

Ultimately, deciding whether “should I see an allergist or dermatologist for hives?” depends on your situation and the cause of your hives. If you’re unsure, it’s always a good idea to talk to your primary care physician, who can help guide you to the right specialist for your needs.

Should I See an Allergist or Dermatologist for Eczema?

Aside from the question, “should I see an allergist or dermatologist for hives?” another question would be whether to see an allergist or dermatologist for eczema.

If you are experiencing eczema, consider seeing an allergist or a dermatologist. Eczema is a skin condition that causes redness, itching, and dryness. Both allergists and dermatologists can help manage eczema, but they approach it from different angles.

Dermatologists specialize in treating skin conditions and can provide a range of treatments, including topical creams, oral medications, and light therapy. They may also perform allergy tests to determine whether an allergy is causing or exacerbating eczema symptoms.

On the other hand, allergists are specialists in diagnosing and treating allergies. If you have eczema triggered or worsened by an allergy, an allergist can help identify the allergen and develop a treatment plan. Allergists can perform skin prick, blood, and other diagnostic tests to identify allergens.

Ultimately, whether you should see an allergist or a dermatologist for eczema depends on the underlying cause of your condition. An allergist may be the best choice if you suspect allergies contribute to your eczema. If you’re unsure what’s causing your eczema or need a range of treatment options, a dermatologist may be better. It’s also worth noting that some dermatologists have expertise in treating eczema and other allergic skin conditions, so it may be worth researching and finding a dermatologist with this specialization.

Should I See a Dermatologist for Allergic Reaction? Can Dermatologist Test for Food Allergies?

Dermatologists, as mentioned, specialize in treating skin-related conditions, while food allergies are caused by a reaction of the immune system to certain foods. Therefore, dermatologists are not typically equipped to test for food allergies.

Allergy testing is generally performed by allergists specializing in diagnosing and treating allergies. They have the expertise and tools necessary to perform skin, blood, and other diagnostic tests to determine the presence of food allergies.

If you suspect a food allergy, it is best to consult with an allergist who can help diagnose and manage your condition.

On the other hand, if you’re having an allergic reaction affecting your skin, it may be a good idea to see a dermatologist. Allergic reactions can cause various symptoms on your skin, such as hives, redness, itching, or swelling. These symptoms can be uncomfortable or painful and may interfere with your daily activities or quality of life.

A dermatologist can help determine the cause of your allergic reaction and recommend the most appropriate treatment for your specific symptoms. They may also advise how to prevent future allergic reactions or manage them more effectively.

In general, it’s always a good idea to seek medical attention if you’re experiencing symptoms that are causing you concern or interfering with your daily life. So, if you’re experiencing an allergic reaction affecting your skin, don’t hesitate to contact a dermatologist or other medical professional for help.


Allergist Dermatologist Near Me

If you’re looking for an allergist or a dermatologist in your area, there are a few steps you can take to find the best one for you.

First, ask for recommendations from your primary care physician or other healthcare providers. They may refer you to a trusted and have worked with in the past.

Another option is to ask for recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues who have experience seeing an allergist or dermatologist. They can provide personal insights into the quality of care and treatment they receive.

You can also search online. Check out websites like Healthgrades, Zocdoc, or Yelp to read patient reviews. Make sure to look for those who have high ratings and positive reviews.

It’s important to ensure they are board-certified in allergy and immunology when finding them. It means they have completed specialized training and passed an exam in their field of expertise.

It’s also a good idea to check with your insurance company to ensure the one you’re considering is covered under your plan. You may need a referral from your primary care physician, so check with your insurance company about any requirements or restrictions.

Overall, finding the right allergist or dermatologist can take a bit of research and effort, but it’s worth ensuring you receive high-quality care and treatment for your allergies.

In conclusion, seeking medical attention is always a good idea if you’re experiencing symptoms impacting your daily life. Don’t hesitate to contact an allergist, dermatologist, or other medical professionals for help if you have an allergic reaction affecting your skin. Although it may require some research and effort, finding the right allergist or dermatologist is worth it to ensure you receive top-notch care and treatment for your allergies.


About Us:

We are a dedicated team of legal professionals specializing in physician contracts at Physician Contract Attorney. With years of experience in the healthcare industry, we deeply understand the challenges faced by physicians when navigating complex employment contracts. Our mission is to ensure that our clients are protected and well-represented. We focus on providing sound legal advice tailored to your unique needs, empowering you to negotiate your contract with confidence. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please reach out to us today.

Scroll to Top